Finally, mid-afternoon, the wind died down and the sun came out, bringing the temperatures up to make a very pleasant Spring afternoon. I took advantage of the lull and got my containers planted (as many as I have, so far…), a hanging basket, and some annuals in a small, shapeless bed by the rhododendron. Showers are forecast for tomorrow. Sigh.
I’m fairly pleased with the combinations, though time will tell what works and what doesn’t. (Honestly, can there really be a “wrong” planting?) I made a couple of boo-boos by missing that two of the geraniums I bought were ivies, but perhaps that will just make things more interesting.
I planted: 2 Gerbera daisies, one pink/yellow with dark centre and one terra cotta; two deep red verbena; 3 geraniums, 1 orange and 1 blue ivy plus 1 deep rose; techno blue lobelia plus regatta mix lobelia. In the small bed by the rhodie, I planted two “Trusty Rusty” coleus circled by bonanza yellow marigolds and some lobelia. I’m especially anxious to see the rust coloured coleus when it gets going.
Huge banks of dark, charcoal clouds have already moved in — they match the colour of my fingernails. :) But oh, it felt so good to dig in the dirt again!