O Christmas Tree!

Whether your tree be “real” or artificial, a fully decked out Christmas tree, no matter how you decorate it, is probably the one symbol most people associate with this festive holiday.  There are a few safety tips that bear a reminder this time of year so that you may enjoy a joyous and safe holiday season.

The following is quoted directly from The Canadian Safety Council:

(Forgive the smaller font.)

The Christmas Tree

* Get a freshly cut tree. It will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard. Try to pick a tree with a strong green colour and noticeable fragrance.
* Always test for freshness before buying. A tree with high moisture content is safer. Very few needles should fall when the butt of the tree is tapped on the ground; needles should bend, not break; and the stump should be sticky with resin.
* Place the tree in a stand that will hold 2 to 3 litres of water and top it up daily. Make sure it is always immersed in water: If water drops below the trunk, the stem may reseal itself, requiring a fresh cut. Use a tree stand that has widespread legs for better balance.
* Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors or windows.
* Never use lighted candles on the tree.
* Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days.  After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out.

Decorations

* Choose decorations that are flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
* If there are young children or pets in your home, avoid very small decorations.
* Avoid using angel hair (glass wool) together with spray-on snowflakes. This combination is highly combustible.
* Do not use metallic ornaments on the tree. If they make contact with defective wiring they could become a shock hazard.

Lights

* Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified light strings/sets.
* Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light strings/sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light strings/sets burn too hot indoors.
* Inspect light strings/set before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires, and discard if faulty.
* Do not use electric light strings/sets on metallic trees. A faulty system could energize the tree and shock or electrocute anyone coming into contact. Illuminate metallic trees with colored floodlights placed at a safe distance from the tree and out of reach.
* Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring for the night or before leaving the house.

Candles

* Place candles away from absolutely anything that could catch fire.
* Never leave burning candles unattended.
* Burn them only when a responsible adult is overseeing the flame.
* Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.
* Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.

The Fireplace

* Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.
* Don’t hang Christmas stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.
* Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
* Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
* Use only seasoned and dried wood.
* Never leave the fire unattended or let it smolder.
* Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside away from flammable materials.
* Don’t use Christmas trees for firewood.

Electrical Outlets

* There is often a tendency to overload wall outlets during the holiday season. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations.
* Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are CSA certified. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire. Discard any defective cords. Read the labels and manufacturer’s instructions to ensure proper use.
* Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
* To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpets or rugs.

Next, some ideas on simple decorations and a few “green tips” on what you can do with your tree when Christmas is over.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “O Christmas Tree!

  1. Always good to remind us! My hubby only lets us have artificial trees because of the he is worried about fire. Luckily living in the Pacific Northwest all we have to do is look outside to see forests of beautiful evergreen all decked out in nature’s splendor! Kim

  2. Great post, Nancy! We all need to be reminded of potential hazards—especially fire hazards—to keep from finding ourselves homeless as a result of our decorating zeal. Speaking of which, I’m looking forward to your post on decorating tips!

  3. All very good items to remember! Our first Christmas in southern Germany our neighbors invited us over to see their tree on Christmas day (as the Kristkind brings the tree) –imagine my surprise seeing wax candles on the branches, all lit. It was beautiful.

I appreciate and welcome your comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s