Well, that’s one way to recycle a Pepsi bottle. :) I cut a dime-sized hole in the bottom of a pop bottle (with a hot stencil cutter), and then cut off the cap screw threads to make a larger opening at the top. I then put a small amount of pre-moistened soil in the bottom, inserted three nasturtium seedlings and gently pressed them into the soil, just enough to hold them in place, then filled the rest of the bottle with more soil, watered them thoroughly, and voila!
Having put a wrap or two of duct tape on the middle of the bottle for added stability, and also so the roots wouldn’t get scorched in a clear container, it looked pretty, um…recycled when it was finished. So, I found some floral fabric and hot glued it onto the bottle, using an elastic to gather it at the top — tight enough to hold it in place, but not so tight that it would be difficult to water through the top opening. So far, so good. As you can see, it’s already putting out some tiny new leaves.
Ideally, if I were making one again, I’d sit down at the sewing machine and gather both ends with elastic, much as you would the opening of a sleeve. But for a spur of the moment project, it turned out okay, I guess. If the bloody wind EVER goes down, it will hang from it’s own hook on one of the balcony posts that gets lots of early sun…and hopefully produce some pale yellow blossoms!