No thyme in this bottle, though I suspect it would have grown just as well. About a week ago, I put about 3″ of Dollar Store marbles in the bottom of this bottle, for drainage and weight; added cactus potting mix (again for better drainage) to the taper of the neck; and plopped in 4-5 nasturtium seeds, covering them with an inch or so of soil and temping it down with a piece of dowling. I’ve watered them gently and sparingly because it’s impossible to know how dry the soil gets inside.
I planted several Primrose Jewel seeds (a soft, lemon yellow…double blooms) in this opaque bottle, more as an experiment than anything. I figured they would germinate, but I wasn’t sure they would continue to grow in the absence of light. Plants seek out light, of course, and I guess these tiny green leaves peeking out near the top of the bottle are proof of that.
Hopefully, another seed or two will germinate and I’ll eventually have blooms tumbling down over this pretty container. Something unique for the balcony, at least. I’ll let you know how they progress.